We are a week into our new school year and things are already running smooth, students are learning and teachers are pumped for our strong start! In case you missed the welcome letter that was mailed home to all students here are a few highlights:
New Dean of Students
In addition to our new staff we have added a full-time Dean of Students to our administrative team. Mr. Sandoval has come onboard as the Dean of Students and is so excited to get to know the students. Mr. Sandoval has his Administrator Certification from the Arizona Department of Education and has years of experience as both a school administrator and a teacher. Fun fact, his wife used to teach at ACA before I was here! He is going to make an immediate impact on student culture and I am excited to have him join our administration team and help us stay focused on student academic success.
We have great plans for ACA this year and will continue to stay focused on student academic achievement and defying the odds. We will be adding an additional building to accommodate our current student population. Construction on this building will start in October and we will keep you updated as we get closer to that time.
· Construction completed over the summer to increase classroom size for K-1 students
· Additional sections of 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th
· Programs including tutoring and homework assistance after school
· Fully implemented music program for K-8 grade, hired an additional art teacher this year
21st Century Clubs
A school messenger went out in July about the update to 21st Century Clubs starting in August. While we’ve applied for the 21st Century Grant that funds our afterschool clubs program, we have yet to be approved. Until then, we will not host afterschool clubs but still offer our wonderful Aftercare/Enrichment. Please contact the office for any questions on this change.
· ELA had a 4% improvement in percent passing from 17-18 to 18-19
· ELA is beating the state by 3%
· Math is beating the state by 8%
· Close to 50% of ACA students are showing High Growth in Math
· Close to 50% of ACA students are showing High Growth in ELA
In closing, I wanted to remind you of our Mission Statement. This is at the core of everything we do at ACA and drives every decision we make:
Arizona Charter Academy’s mission is to empower all students to be responsible, productive, and global citizens.
Our Arizona Charter Academy students will:
· Apply creative and critical thinking to solve problems
· Display cultural awareness, pride, and respect for themselves and others
· Utilize technology effectively
· Actively participate in the community
· Articulate and support viewpoints through written and verbal expression
You can support our mission by sending your child to school daily, on time and prepared. Your child’s education is truly a partnership, and without you none of this would be possible!